Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Scalpe Lotion Review - For Dandruff and Seborrheic Dermatitis

So, Seborrheic dermatitis sounds absolutely dangerous, I'd say it sounds almost killer and not in a good way. However, it means dandruff or more of an acute case of dandruff , if you please. (You can read the details, symptoms, etc here). I have oily, acne-prone skin and my dermatologist now, knows more about than....let's say...my best friend? Anyway, he suggested Scalpe Lotion to me which, in fact, is a shampoo.








Scalpe lotion's main ingredient which makes it effective is Ketoconazole. You can find anti-dandruff shampoos, specially the ones that are prescribed by the dermatologist, contain Ketoconazole in various concentrations. 



Genrally, Higher the concentration of Ketoconazole>> Higher the price of that shampoo/lotion

I have used Ketoconazole in various concentrations and I can safely say, Scalpe lotion is the best bet in terms of concentration and price. If you have a serious problem of dandruff, you can move on to higher concentrations or just consult a doctor( I would suggest going to a doctor because treating yourself can make life harder at times).




I am not writing this review like I generally do, because it works.

How many times do you need to use it? The doc asked me to use it thrice a week, after washing my hair with my usual shampoo and washing it off after keeping it for 1 minute and then again, by keeping it for 3 minutes and washing it off. 3 times a week.

I  just didn't have the time to wash it 3 times a week, so I somehow managed 2 times a week and then when I saw the dandruff had reduced, I moved on to using it only once a week. I just keep it on my head for 1 minute or a bit more and wash it off.  (Patience was never featured on my list of virtues.)








Do I use conditioner after this shampoo? I do otherwise so much of washing makes my hair frizzy.

Where can I get it? At a chemist.

If I cannot get Scalpe, any other options? In more or less the same price range, Nizoral. I personally have not used Nizoral though.



If this doesn't work out for me? There is a shampoo called KZ shampoo. It's more expensive and more effective. When I was using it, doc told me to follow more or less the same routine like I mentioned above.
 However, KZ is thicker and more jelly-like so it becomes harder to spread but definitely more effective.

Side-effects? None.


My Rating: 10/10 (I don't have any issues with this. I still use it when I get a bout of dandruff but yes, I no longer use it regularly.)

Recommendation:  If you have dandruff and it refuses to go away, do get it treated because it leads to a variety of skin problems and all those zits on your back? They are thanks to the dandruff too! It is a misconception that acne affects only the face. You can, in fact, end up with acne on your back, chest, face and neck.